Is your wisdom tooth aching but you don’t have time to visit the dentist? Some people tend to experience pain and discomfort as their wisdom teeth come out. Dental professionals often recommend having the wisdom teeth removed if impacted, infected, or is causing too much pain. Since wisdom teeth usually appear at the ages of 17 to 21 years old, many young adults tend to book their appointment due to the intense pain it causes. Here is a list of home remedies we at Smart Dental prepared to help in reducing the ache caused by your wisdom tooth.
- Warm water salt rinse. Dentists recommend this kind of remedy since it is one of the most effective and easiest ways to relieve pain. To make this rinse, dissolve a few tablespoons of salt into a warm glass of water. Use this to rinse your mouth for a few minutes then spit out. Repeat this process every few hours for relief.
- Ibuprofen. Taking the recommended dose of ibuprofen or other NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) will help relieve discomfort and inflammation of the gums.
- Numbing gel. Applying a numbing dental gel with an active ingredient of benzocaine will help reduce the pain you experience. This product can be purchased over the counter and even online. It is best to apply the gel only as needed.
- Ice pack. Applying an ice pack against the cheek that is closest to the location of the wisdom teeth can provide a numbing effect and also reduce inflammation; therefore, relieving the pain felt.
- Clove or clove oil. Studies show that using cloves may help in relieving the pain due to its numbing effect. To make it work, place the clove directly on the affected area and hold it in place by closing your jaw without chewing or crushing it. Leave it on until the pain lessens and spit it out. When using clove oil, put a few drops in a cotton ball or swab then dab or brush it gently on the affected area.
- Hot or cold compress. Using both of these methods can help relieve pain and reduce swelling to manage the pain caused by wisdom teeth.
Although the remedies listed above will help you ease the pain and discomfort, remember that these are only short-term solutions. The best course of action is to visit your dentist right away to find out if a wisdom tooth extraction is necessary.
Looking for a safe and pain-free wisdom tooth extraction? Call or visit us at 2600 Nicholasville Rd. #120, Lexington, KY 40503! Smart Dental has a caring and dedicated staff to help you feel pleasant during your Teeth Extraction needs in Lexington, KY.